How does thinking over specific Bible verses help newlywed couples?
As a marriage coach, I have observed that couples who prioritize reading and believing the word of God have a more positive outlook when navigating marriage problems.
Making those hard decisions, accepting responsibility, staying accountable, admitting there are new ways to look at old problems suddenly becomes possible when they don’t depend on their willpower alone.
My husband and I started marriage on a roller-coaster.
I remember sitting in our small study, crying my eyes out, trying to make sense of my new life.
I tried to talk to God and read my Bible, but I was hurting so bad. Even familiar Bible verses didn’t seem to make sense or bring much comfort.
But through His grace, I continued reading and praying anyway. My time with God was a discipline, not a convenience or something I did because I felt like it.
The haze would break, and I would learn that the Bible isn’t just a source of comfort; it also instructs me, provides direction, and corrects me where I am wrong.
Why Bible verses for newlywed couples?
In his letter to Timothy, Paul the Apostle wrote,
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-16
The Bible isn’t just words in a book. It’s not ancient text with contemporary relevance.
The Bible is God-breathed: Alive and powerful. It teaches timeless truth to all who listen. It makes clear what is wrong, so we don’t have to wonder or wander.
It corrects wrong mindsets, beliefs, and habits and helps us do what is right. It prepares and equips us to do God’s good work. It changes us from the inside out.
Every newlywed couple who cling to the Word of God will see the fruit of their effort in their marriage. I believe that because the Bible says so.
But also, because my husband and I have experienced the transforming power of believing and meditating on Scripture in our marriage. As a Certified Marriage Breakthrough Coach™, I have observed the same truth at work in other marriages.
So let’s dive in and look at 30 Bible verses for newlywed couples to help navigate challenges and provide instruction for marriage.
30 Bible Verses For Newlywed Couples To Strengthen Marriage
1. Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
2. Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.. Proverbs 14:1
3. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. 1 John 4:18-19
4. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5
5. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.. Ephesians 5:33
6. Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
7. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Hebrews 10:23-24
8. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;. Romans 12:10
9. Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. Romans 15:13
10. Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. Proverbs 12:25
11. Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Colossians 2:7
12. Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all. 2 Thessalonians 3:16
13. Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. Colossians 3:13
14. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
15. My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies. Song of Songs 2:16
16. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
17. ..walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace Ephesians 4:1-3
18. A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.. Proverbs 15:18
19. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
20. Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7
21. And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 2 Corinthians 3:4-5
22. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Genesis 2:23-24
23. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Philippians 4:6
24. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10
25. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Genesis 1:27-28
26. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32
27. Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:10-12
28. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. Proverbs 5:19
29. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: Proverbs 3:3
30. There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. Proverbs 30:18-19
I hope these Bible verses for newlywed couples inspire your love for each other. I hope they help you focus on the main thing (love for God and for each other) as you navigate the highs and lows of marriage.
For ideas on how to meditate on (think over deeply) the Word of God, make sure to read this post 25 Bible Verses For The Discouraged Wife.
Your turn – What is your favorite Bible verse? What other Bible verses for newlywed couples would you add to this list? Let’s talk in Comments!