I love newlywed quotes and sayings. They are cute and can be very educative.
But sometimes they are shocking.
After our wedding ceremony and during the afternoon photo shoot, our best man turned to my dashing groom and delivered one of the most profound statements we’d heard as a newlywed couple yet.
Smiling real big, he looked at my guy in the eye and said “Just die. Just die.”
We were tickled. And shocked. A few days later and as the wedding haze began to lift, it dawned on us that indeed, dying to self does the pathway of a great marriage.
Do you want to lessen your learning curve? Then take the following newlywed quotes and sayings to heart! I hope the words tug at your heart, educate you and even make you smile!
A bunch of the sayings are mostly original (make sure to follow me on Instagram @nginaotiende where I share inspirational messages about marriage daily!)
A host of other quotes are from wise thought leaders and encouragers. Without further ado, here they are newlywed quotes and encouragement for new couples.
45 newlywed quotes and sayings to inspire all newlywed couples
1. Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we married. Tim Mullen
2. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 1 Corinthians 13:7
3. Remember to treat your spouse the way Christ expects, not the way they deserve. Ngina Otiende (Excerpt from my book Blues to Bliss: Creating Your Happily Ever After in the Early Years)
4. Once upon a time, I became yours, and you became mine. And we’ll stay together through the tears and the laughter because that’s what they call happily-ever-after. Kathy R Jeffords.
5. I assumed all marriages which fail have one or both of the spouses doing something wrong and the wrongdoing leads to a breakup. I was wrong. Doing nothing is equally as bad. Because people don’t float together, they float apart. To stay together, you need a tether. To thrive, a couple must cling and cleave as if there’s a massive wave coming at them. Because there is a wave called drift – laziness, selfishness, convenience, comfortable, resentment, indiscipline, busy. And before long, you look around, and you lost sight of your spouse. Stay tethered: live your vows. Your relationship is counting on it. Ngina Otiende
6. Marriages would have better communication if more wives embraced not just their need to talk but also his need to process and more husbands embraced not only their need to think and process but also her need to speak and be heard. Ngina Otiende
7. Love is letting her charge her phone first. Marriage is buying a second charger. @XplodingUnicorn
8. We are happier when we focus on being the best for our spouses than when we focus on how our spouse can be the best for us. Ngina Otiende (Excerpt from my book Blues to Bliss: Creating Your Happily Ever After in the Early Years)
9. The only part of marriage you have the power to change is the part you see when you look in the mirror – Barnabas Achoki
10. The only people who never have differences with their spouse are people who don’t have a spouse. Ngina OtiendeThe only people who never have differences with their spouse are people who don't have a spouse. Ngina Otiende #realmarriage
11. Marriages are like fingerprints; each one is different and each one is beautiful. Maggie Reyes
12. Until you learn how to fight together, you will fight against each other. Ngina Otiende.
13. Placing blame in marriage is like saying “your side of the boat is sinking.” Hank Smith
14. You will love your husband better when you love God more. Ngina Otiende
15. Seek friendship’s that build your marriage and walk away from those that tear it down. You don’t reach the top by taking the elevator down. Ngina Otiende
16. Today’s marriages become toxic, with resentments, after only a few years. It’s one thing to say, ‘I forgive,’ but most lack the enterprise to do the necessary work that follows. Michael Ben Zehab
17. At the end of the day, marriage is not about making sure you get all you want or think you deserve, it’s about making sure you are giving all that Christ has given you. Ngina Otiende
18. If you think your wife is the weaker sex, trying pulling the blankets over to your side at night. AnonymousIf you think your wife is the weaker sex, trying pulling the blankets over to your side at night -Anonymous #marriagehumor #newlyweds
19. A sure sign of a man’s strength is how gently he loves his wife. FierceMarriage.com
20. What if, in the bigger scheme of things, God put the yearning and desire for our husbands, not so a man could fulfill all of it, but so we could catch a glimpse of what it means to fully and wholly yearn for God? Ngina Otiende (Excerpt from my book The Wedding Night: Embracing Sexual Intimacy as a New Bride
21. A strong marriage rarely has two people strong at the same time. It is a husband and wife who take turns being strong for each other in the moment the other is weak. Ashley Willis.
22. Love is.. his warm legs to put your cold feet on.
23. When marriage is forever, the only option is “let’s work through it.” Shaunti.com
24. Dear newlywed wife, somebody out there is determined to shape your view of intimacy and marriage. You get to choose who will shape your opinion; the Author of marriage or exasperated humans? Ngina Otiende
25. The moment you say “I do” on your wedding day, you and your spouse become blissfully happy and excited about your future. What happens from that moment onwards will determine how long this bliss will remain. Do not let it fade away for any reason. The longer this bliss stays in your marriage, and life, the happier you will both be as a married couple. OurPeacefullFamily.com
26. I can’t claim I will love my husband more when he changes if I am not trying to love him where he is today. Ngina Otiende (Excerpt from my book Blues to Bliss: Creating Your Happily Ever After in the Early Years.
27. No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share an umbrella and survive a storm together. Unknown.
28. Remember, God has not called you to fix your marriage or make each other whole. That’s His job. He’s called you to trust Him, obey Him and allow Him to work in you individually, first. Ngina Otiende (Excerpt from my book Blues to Bliss: Creating Your Happily Ever After in the Early Years.
29. I have found the one whom my soul loves. Song of Solomon 3:4
30. Your spouse will never stop wanting to be pursued. Ngina Otiende
31. The man who puts into marriage only half of what he owns will get that out. Ronald Reagan
32. Love is the daily decision that says “I Still do” in spite of feelings and circumstances. Ngina Otiende.
33. It is not love, the feeling, that sustains a marriage, but the commitment to love amidst life’s messes and failure that makes a marriage strong. Ngina Otiende.
34. He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Proverbs 18:22
35. Your marriage vows are most important in those moments when they are most difficult to keep. Dave Willis.
36. We leave our family out of our marriage business because long after the trouble is gone, the disagreement has died and our spouse has changed, the record of the wrong will still be playing in their head. Ngina Otiende
37. Don’t ever stop dating your wife. Don’t ever stop flirting with your husband. ModernMarriage.com
38. One way to get the last word is to apologize. Anonymous
39. Pay more attention to your spouse than your phone. Marquis Clarke
40. Happy is the wife who learns to praise her husband in public. Pearls Girls Christy FitzwaterHappy is the wife who learns to praise her husband in public. Pearls Girls Christy Fitzwater #marriagequotes #newlyweds
41. Your husband will never stop wanting to be admired. Ngina Otiende
42. Training yourself to “still do” when you feel “I don’t'” is the way great marriages are built. Ngina Otiende
43. Always strive to give your spouse the very best of yourself; not what’s leftover after you have given your best to everyone else. Dave Willis
44. There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage. Martin Luther
45. A good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal – AnonymousA good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal - Anonymous #happymarriage #newlyweds #lovequotes
There you go! 45 newlywed quotes to inspire your marriage. Your turn: what’s your favorite quote from the list? Let’s talk in the comments below.
Related articles with newlywed quotes and sayings
Are you wrestling with the overwhelm of new marriage?
Do you long for the joy and happiness you had when you walked down the aisle? Or perhaps you are happily married but want to break out of average and mediocre. You want to love deeper, understand your husband and this marriage deal you signed up for. Get on the road to a great marriage or improve the one you have when you pick up my book Blues to Bliss: Creating Your Happily Ever after in the Early Years. Amazon I Barnes & Noble I PDF